10 Most Beautiful Universities: As a student, you’ll probably spend most of your time on university campus. And so, while it’s certainly not the most important factor to consider (in fact, we strongly recommend that it isn’t), it helps if campus is somewhere you enjoy to spend your time in.
Universities come in all shapes and sizes and architectural styles. From traditional gray stone buildings to sleek modernist structures, the university campus is home to some of the most interesting collections of buildings you can find.
Here is the list of 10 most beautiful universities in the world.
1. Heidelberg University, Germany : Founded in 1386, the University of Heidelberg is not only the oldest university in Germany, but also one of the oldest in the world. It has retained much of its historic charm with its original features and brick facade. As well as having beautiful views around every corner, Heidelberg University has been associated with 29 Nobel Prize winners.
2. Sorbonne University, France: When you think of Paris, you think of class, grandeur, and sophistication. And the Sorbonne University campus fits that description perfectly. Many of the university’s impressive buildings make up the Paris’s Latin Quarter of Paris and are located within walking distance of some of Paris’ most iconic landmarks. Sorbonne University is a public university in Paris, France, officially established in 2018 after the merger of Paris-Sorbonne University and Pierre and Marie Curie University.
3. Flagler College, United States: Flagler College is a coastal private liberal arts university located in St. Augustine, Florida. The main building is a stunning cream-and-red-brick Spanish Revival-style construction complete with arched windows and sloping roofs. It was originally built as a hotel in the 1800s, which would explain the sweeping marble staircase and chandeliers. The building is now on the National Register for Historic Places.
4. Royal Roads University, Canada: The fact that the main building of Royal Roads University is a palace is one of the major reasons for its presence on this list. Known as Hatley Castle, and located in the Hatley Park National Historic Site, the main building has been used as a filming location for several movies including the X-Men franchise and Deadpool. The university campus, which covers 260 acres of parkland, features hiking and biking trails, a Japanese garden, and views of the nearby ocean and Olympic Mountain ranges.
5. University of Otago, New Zealand: The University of Otago builds on its picturesque surroundings, blended with sprawling greenery and the Leith River running throughout the campus. As well as the natural beauty of the campus, the buildings are a mix of traditional neo-Gothic structures and modernist buildings. The university was established in 1869 and is considered to be the first university in New Zealand.
6. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is located in the Sai Kung district on the northern part of the Clearwater Bay peninsula, with panoramic views of the clear, turquoise bay below. The campus is situated on a slope, and buildings and facilities are built on terraces that have been carved out of the mountainside. Academic facilities are on the upper terraces, and undergraduate halls of residence and sports facilities are near the beach.
7. University of Catania, Sicily: The University of Catania is located on the Mediterranean island of Sicily and is the island’s main university. The institution’s main building is an imposing, snow-white Renaissance structure, originally built as a monastery. The remaining buildings are scattered throughout the city, complementing the rest of the island’s beautiful architecture. Other features of the university that are worth visiting are the university piazza with its mosaic tile floor.
8. Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland: Opened in 1849 as “Queen’s College, Belfast”, Queen’s University Belfast is a public research university in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The university’s campus is located in the heart of the Queen’s Quarter area of the city, one of Belfast’s six cultural districts. While the university treats its main site as a single campus, its buildings are spread throughout South Belfast, mainly on University Road, University Square and Stranmillis Road.
9. Monterrey Institute of Technology, Mexico: What is most striking about the Monterrey Institute of Technology is the architectural imagination and diversity of its 36 campuses across the country. One of the most recognized of these buildings is the Rectorate on the main campus in Monterrey, adorned with a mural by the artist Jorge González Camarena.
10. KU Leuven, Belgium: The rich history of the university can be found within its buildings, and it is sometimes difficult to tell where the university ends and the city of Leuven begins, so closely linked are the two. The restored Renaissance building housing the university library is the centerpiece of the university, which is surrounded by cobbled streets and green parks.
You are reading “10 Most Beautiful Universities Campuses in the World “