The pandemic has made us realize ‘health is wealth’ in the most real sense of the term. Remaining healthy in these times is critical. However, managing a healthcare setup in these challenging times is harder while larger hospitals are serving those infected with COVID, the mid- and small-sized hospitals are reportedly struggling for existence. MBA in Healthcare Management is becoming a popular healthcare track for future leaders.
Possessing the acumen and critical thinking of an administrator is key to successfully running a healthcare facility, and these have become more important at a time when the sector is pushed to the extreme. There can be no better way to prepare for this critical yet challenging role than a degree that makes the fundamentals as clear as crystal.
What do hospital/health managers do?
- The covid19 crisis has made hospital/health managers a necessity to handle the business side of health service delivery they are in charge of scheduling, budgeting, and looking for ways to improve patient care. Those who opt for a degree in health management / hospital management find a job in a hospital or to manage health program / project
- Smaller clinics allow healthcare managers to oversee several disciplines, from marketing and budgeting to human resources and record management. Larger hospitals, on the other hand, offer more diverse opportunities. With experience, one can move into executive roles of COO, or CEO in hospital and State/National level program manager in public health space.
- One can also work with national and international consulting firms, and work on strategic management, project management, program managementor quality management. One can also look for opportunities to work with governmental/non-govermental organizations for managing and implementing public health progrms
What is the healthcare degree program?
- Any student with a recognized bachelor’s degree of minimum three-year duration with at least 50% marks in aggregate can apply for such courses. Having a CAT/ XAT/ NMAT/ MAT/ CMAT/ ATMA/ GMAT score can add to their chances.
- Working professionals, too, can join such courses to further their careers. Some subjects are common to health management/hospital management courses in universities across the world.
- These include principal of management, health care delivery system, demography, epidemiology, bio-statistics, quality management, human resource management, health economics, financial management, strategic management, disaster management, etc.
- Apart from thorough training, in theory, practical experience and scenario-based simulations enhance decision-making and problem solving competence of the students to enable them to face the health industry’s challenges and prepare them to lead a team of healthcare workers.
SOME OF THE PREMIUM INSTITUTIONS OFFERING THE COURSE ARE:
Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi
KJ Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
Symbiosis Institute of Health Science,
Manipal School of Management, Manipal
Acharya Bangalore B-School, Bangalore
Amity Global Business School, Noida.